The Minister for Works and Housing, Francis Asenso-Boakye says the government’s National Rental Assistance Scheme (NRAS), set up to cover rent advance has benefited 1,105 Ghanaian workers from across six regions.
With a disbursement totaling GH¢13,785,597, these funds had been disbursed to beneficiaries in the Greater Accra, Eastern, Western, Ashanti, Northern, and Bono East regions.
The NRAS was established by the government to cater to the high demand for affordable rental housing.
Mr Asenso-Boakye said this in Parliament on Tuesday, November 7, while responding to queries by National Democratic Congress (NDC) Member of Parliament (MP) for Sawla/Tuna/Kalba, Andrew Dari Chiwitey on information regarding the number of beneficiaries and the total expenditure on the scheme.
He said that NRAS was launched in January 2023 which targeted both formal and informal workers with regular incomes.
“Mr Speaker, the scheme removes the burden of huge rent advance payment to homeowners, whereas the programme beneficiaries pay the monthly rent to the scheme,” he said.
The Work and Housing Minister explained that to make the NRAS operational, his outfit assembled a working team to design implementation modalities, conduct stakeholder consultations, and develop sensitisation materials.
He said the Ministry also carried out public awareness campaigns regarding the scheme.
“Mr Speaker, overall, the ministry expended a total of GH¢900,000 on the pre-implementation activities and official launch of the scheme,” he said.
When questioned about the scheme’s legal foundation, the Bantama Constituency MP clarified that while there was no legal backing, it was a government policy in execution.
Responding to a comment from NDC MP for Tamale North, Alhassan Suhuyini on whether there were amendments or payments made to Construction OAS Ghana Limited post-2016 for the Saglemi Housing Project, the Minister highlighted an ongoing legal investigation regarding the matter.
Consequently, he requested a deferral in addressing the question, indicating that any comments might prejudge the case’s outcome.
“I assure the House that when the court reaches a verdict on the case, I will be very happy to come back and provide a response,” he said.
Explaining the legal counsel he received, Mr Asenso-Boakye emphasised refraining from commentary until the court reached a decision to avoid potential implications on the case.
Source: Ghana News